- This event has passed.
Making Life Work. For You. For Everyone. No Exceptions
March 28 / 2014 @ 9:00 am - March 30 / 2014 @ 5:00 pm
We all know, somewhere, that a different world is possible, a world that honors and seeks to meet the needs of everyone, that welcomes each person’s truth, that rests on faith that solutions can be found to the most challenging problems facing us, individually and collectively. In the challenging times in which we live, many of us barely dare dream of this world.
In this 6-part course, Miki Kashtan shows with astonishing clarity how, with dedication and support from others, you can begin to integrate principles and practices that move you in the direction of making this dream a reality, starting with your own life, exactly where you are.
This course invites you to risk opening to yourself in new ways, and to engage deeply with the following:
- seeing the full humanity of each person, regardless of their actions;
- holding with care our own actions even when we are unhappy with the results;
- staying in dialogue until a solution is found that works for all;
- embracing the uncertainty of life without the absolutes of “right” and “wrong,” “good” and “bad.”
In this way, you can be part of the awakening of a new consciousness embedded in all areas of life. By steeping in both the “why” and the “how,” you will learn, in addition to a new way of seeing yourself and others, new capacities to create a world that truly works for everyone. The more people who join you in taking the first step, the nearer this world becomes.
Part 1 – Needs: Making Transformation Possible
To make change without re-creating the old paradigm of separation, scarcity, and powerlessness, we need a new lens through which to see ourselves and others. As we learn to focus on a radically new awareness of human needs, we discover the possibility of more meaningful relationships and practical solutions that honor everyone.
The purpose of this session is to awaken your understanding of human needs as the root of life and to introduce practices that will allow you to change how you choose what you do and how you respond to life. You’ll learn:
- to distinguish between needs and strategies and why that matters
- to identify the core needs that motivate any particular action – yours or others’
- to embrace your needs, regardless of the outcome, as a way to expand choice and freedom
- to move beyond judgments of self and others into a compassionate and courageous way of relating
Part 2 – Choice: From Reaction to Conscious Response
Attending to the needs of everyone in a relationship or conflict rests on the ability to keep our hearts open – even when another’s words or actions are deeply upsetting to us.
The purpose of this session is to replace habitual reactions – such as anger, withdrawal, or placating others at high cost to yourself – with conscious choice about how you would like to respond in each moment. As you reclaim your power of choice, you’ll learn:
- to identify your own reactions and how to create more inner space
- to make full contact with your needs and the needs of others in a given situation
- to name clearly what you want to choose given the known needs
Part 3 – Empathy: Connecting with Others without Losing Yourself
Empathy is a critical capacity that enlarges our understanding of ourselves and others and awakens compassion where there was once judgment and separation. This allows us to bridge seemingly insurmountable gaps and obstacles, and move forward together with others even in difficult circumstances.
The purpose of this session is to begin to cultivate this transformative capacity, as well as to help you connect the choice of empathy to the purpose you’re hoping to achieve. You’ll learn:
- to find presence and resources to respond empathically
- to bring together mind, heart, body and imagination in the service of empathic connection
- to express empathy in both words and actions
- to attend to your own well-being while being available to others
Part 4 – Authenticity: Expressing Truth with Care
Expressing our own simple truth is foundational to creating a world in which human connections, institutions and decision-making structures are grounded in trust and the flow of good will.
The purpose of this session is to break loose of the painful either/or about speaking truth and caring about others. You’ll learn:
- to identify your clear intention for saying what you want to say
- to take full ownership of your experience
- to find the most relevant part of your experience to express that would fit the context and reach the other’s heart
- to express your care explicitly even when you directly oppose what another wants
Part 5 – Requests: Asking for All We Want
If we want to create change – whether in our personal lives, our workplaces, or our societal institutions – we need the courage and clarity to ask for what we want so that our vision can be realized.
The purpose of this session is to help you understand and overcome the challenges that block you from making requests. Then you can ask for what you want with clarity and boldness while remaining open to dialogue. You’ll learn:
- how the sense of mattering is related to asking
- to support the freedom for the other to say “no”
- to want fully without attachment
- to tie requests to needs, and why that matters
Part 6 – Collaboration: Finding Solutions That Work for All
The practical manifestation of a consciousness that prioritizes human needs is the exciting emergence of collaboratively created, real solutions that address the needs of everyone.
The purpose of this session is to discover your own obstacles to collaboration, to open to the core principle of true collaboration (the surfacing and shared holding of everyone’s needs), and to integrate concrete practices to deepen your capacity to collaborate. You’ll learn:
- to find the way forward from needs to solutions
- to craft solutions by engaging in dialogue and playful search
- to hear and say an authentic “yes” and an open-hearted “no”
Flexible Registration Options
Take the entire course (all six half-day sessions) for only $225
Early Bird for entire course (all six half-day sessions) is $180
Or, take a full day (includes two half-day sessions) for $85
Or, take a single half-day session for $50.